Monday 30 March 2015

Walk 08 - Kawau Island

One of the aspects of this journey that I'm really enjoying is getting to visit places that I've either not been to before, or was so teeny when I did go that it's visit has long been forgotten as was the case with Kawau Island. I have, it's been told to me, been there when I was very little but I had no memory of it until we arrived at Mansion House and I was flooded with the memory of a particularly large Moreton bay Fig Tree which stands on the grounds. I have no other recollection of it, aside from that one tree. It is, to be fair a very big tree.

Kawau Island is one of the bigger islands in the Hauraki Gulf, accessed by a ferry out of Sandspit which is an easy drive of less than an hour North of Auckland. The island was once owned by one of New Zealand's first governors who transformed the existing Copper Mine managers cottage into the extensive Mansion House which still stands today, is the main attraction of the island and will have you yearning for a lottery win as you depart and head back to your standard, normal sized home.

We caught the mail ferry out of Sandspit which makes a stop at a collection of bays around the island on the way to the final drop off point at Mansion House Bay. The weather was looking a little threatening as we headed out but aside from some aggressive wind out on the boat we got lucky again.

The run took us past a lovely collection of old batches and expensive new developments which must have had stunning views. Lovely sailboats sit waiting in the water beside private docks and life just suddenly felt a lot more lazy and relaxed.

 
 

We departed the ferry early on it's first stop at Mansion Bay as we wanted enough time for lunch and the hike before the boat ride back and it was hard for me not to feel like we were involved in a scene from an old Agatha Christie story as we pulled in to the bay, with the beautiful house dominating the view and peacocks patrolling the dock. I was primed and ready to solve a murder using the little grey cells.

 
 Sadly their were no crimes that required our attention so we enjoyed our picnic lunch and the quiet that our early disembarkment had allowed us. As we ate we were visited by the peacocks, a pair of curious (and I would imagine well fed) ducks and some Weka which are a flightless bird about the size of a small chicken.

Our walking track took us up and above Mansion Bay before heading down to Two House Bay and then inland past a large Redwood tree that was planted by governor Sir George Grey, then up to the turning point at a lookout over the remains of the old copper mine before heading back towards Mansion house.

 
 
 
 
 
 

80% of the walk is in amongst the bush and at times the only noise is the wind in the tree tops which is quickly becoming one of my favourite sounds. Mum and Nikki were once again great company and were very supportive and comforting once I realised it was unlikely we were going to see any wild Wallabies bouncing about.

Once we had finished our hike we had just enough time for a quick tour of Mansion House (no photography allowed unfortunately) which I highly recommend if you're visiting Kawau. For only $4 per person you're treated to an extremely well preserved glimpse into the past and it was a wonderful way to end our visit before the quick, 20 minute trip back to Sandspit Wharf.

 

Coming up this week is the start of April and with it, Parkinson's Awareness Month. I'll be doing two walks this weekend including one in Hamilton with some people from the Waikato region who are coming out to support the walks and the Parkinson's community. I'm really looking forward to meeting them and expanding my circle of friends as I hit double digits with walk #10.









4 comments:

  1. The island looks beautiful! It sure does look like a wonderful place to hike. It looked very peaceful! I assume the people who live on the islands enroute don't have to worry to much about money!!
    These pictures remind me a lot of the islands near Vancouver in Canada! Also very beautiful.
    Looking forward to walk 9 and 10!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a beautiful spot! There's a blend of expensive looking modern houses, holiday batches and shacks that look like they've been there longer than the island...wait that can't be right ;)

      Delete
  2. I love rainforests pics! Waiting for next report! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm doing a joint blog for walks 9 & 10! Stay tuned to this station...

      Delete