Wednesday 14 January 2015

Bread, milk and a 25L bucket of sunscreen lotion

With the first walk locked in and set for just over a couple of weeks away I'm focussed on making sure I have all the right gear. Not so much that I 'look' the part as I seem designed to look silly in any outfit created for physical activity, but so I have the best possible chance of making it from point A, back to point A in one piece.

I really enjoyed reading 'A Beginners Guide to Hiking' over on the Nerd Fitness site -


And with his ideas combined with some suggestions from friends I've created my shopping list - a recipe if you will, to help create 'Eileen the Hiker'...

Some items I've already collected are - 

Socks - These come with the benefit of 'moisture management'....yeah I pulled that face too....



Pants - I was pretty excited to get these during the New Year sales at Kathmandu as I would never pay *cough* $140 *cough* for shorts. They're comfy and stretchy which are key words for the slightly chubby chick.


Binoculars - I got a great pair for a birthday many years ago which will finally get some proper use.
Camera - My trusty Canon is going on some adventures!
Book - Won't be leaving home without my trusty guide.



So there are a few things left to get over the next couple of weeks. Top of the list is a proper backpack. As these are all day walks I can't see the use in getting one of those 75L monsters unless people are going to offer to carry me in them. So I have to find a happy medium between this....


And this...

I think of all the choices to be made, picking out the right pack is going to induce the biggest 'cool vs sensible' internal monologue.

The rest of the list is mostly sensible stuff - 

Light Jacket
Safety Whistle
Compass
Bug Spray
Sunscreen Lotion
First Aid Kit
Swiss Army Knife.

Why a Swiss Army Knife? 
 

That's why.


 So all the pieces are coming together and the little training walks are going well. If you think I've missed anything off the list feel free to shout them out as I'd hate to find out I needed that one...last...thing...as I'm hanging off a mountain. I have these thoughts people!!




3 comments:

  1. I vote for the backpack pictured above! It's just the perfect size! If you got cold, you could climb right inside! Lol!
    Sounds like you are all set and ready! Maybe a hat? Oh! And everyone needs a Swiss Army knife!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes good call on the hat! I've got my full brimmed zoo hat and a selection of caps so i should be all good there...the trick is not forgetting it when rushing out the door ;)

      Delete
  2. Always nice to read you!
    I would have said the hat too. And sunglasses ;-)
    A thermos bottle to keep your water a little bit fresher?

    ReplyDelete