Saturday 24 January 2015

Tiritiri Matangi

Well in a weeks time my first walk will be behind me and this journey will have officially begun! I'm a healthy blend of nervous and excited and especially thrilled to be beginning at Tiritiri Matangi which is a place I've wanted to visit for a long time. I just hope I'm not too overwhelmed by the event to enjoy the environment.

Tiritiri Matangi is an island 30 km North East of Auckland - just over an hour away by boat (note to self, pack motion sickness tablets).



A huge conservation effort has taken place on the island to create a predator free wildlife sanctuary. A place to see many of our native birds as well as Tuatara, skinks, geckos and weta. There is also a lovely lighthouse on the point which has just celebrated it's 150th birthday.

There are many different walks you can do there (some guided). I'll be hiking the coastal track which should take around 4 hours.


It's going to be a great mix of coast, farm, sea, forest and beach views and with an early weather forecast of 28c (82F) things are set for a pretty great day. For more information on this special little island you can visit their site

My donation page has finally been fully moderated on the GiveaLittle site too so I'll post more info on that during the week.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend!


3 comments:

  1. It sounds wonderful! A bit like Catalina Island off the coast of Los Angeles. Also a great place for hiking though I'm sure it's a bit more commercialized! I would love to be hiking with you! Good luck but I know you won't need it! You will do great! Looking forward to seeing it and hearing all about it. Enjoy yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sharon, I really appreciate all your support and I'll take those lucky vibes as I'm sure I'll need them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here! I'm really looking forward to see the pics you'll probably take! I hope so ;-)
    Have fun and be safe!

    ReplyDelete