Monday 5 January 2015

Enjoying the sun

For my friends in the Northern Hemisphere who are probably huddled around a heater at the moment, dressed in multiple layers and using their pets as fluffy water bottles it's hot here at the moment. Not, like, Australian hot, but hot. And I'm loving it....except for the heat if that makes sense? I love the smell of a summers days - freshly mown grass, sunscreen and the roasting pavement combine to make one of my favourite aromas, sitting somewhere between the smell of a grape fruit burst and perfume I can't afford (insert any brand here).

So this afternoon after work I went for what was meant to be a quick walk down at the waterfront. I say quick because I thought, nice & flat, easy peasy but I ended up walking for longer and further than on Sunday and (according to my free phone app) burning more calories, which since it wasn't planned I counter-acted with a chocolate bar once I got home just to keep the world in balance.

I started at St Heliers Bay and walked just past Kohimarama Beach before U-turning and heading back the way I came. As you head out of Auckland City along the waterfront you travel through some lovely bays - my favourite of which is Mission Bay which hosts a Jazz and Blues festival each year. I didn't make it as far as there tonight, mainly because I was afraid of melting so perhaps next time.



This is on the outward journey as you head towards the city. The two mounds on the right are part of the North Shore. When the water is out like it was tonight you can see Oyster Catchers, and NZ Herons feasting happily.



The Kohimara Yacht club was deceptively quiet today. It's hard to even spot on the weekend mornings as it gets lost in a sea of people and boats coming and going around it.

The view from the bays is dominated by Rangitoto (Maori for 'Bloody Sky), the 5.5km wide volcanic island that lies about a 30 minute ferry ride out from Auckland harbour.


This giant rock is in my book of walks and I have chosen it to be the last one I do for a few reasons. a) It's close(ish) to home. b) As an Aucklander it's iconic and c) It's a mountain and as soon as I step off the boat I'm going to be going up hill, for hours. A walk like that deserves a special place on the list, so introducing number 202 everybody - Rangitoto Island!

Today's stats were - 

It's slightly disappointing that I'm slower across a flat surface but the stats don't lie (note to self...see if you can get the stats to lie)

And I was feeling a little bluesy today so my track of the track was GO TO THE MARDI GRAS by Professor Longhair.


Hope everyone has a good week!

8 comments:

  1. Every blog you write allows me to travel as well because of the pics, maps and what you're telling us! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy to hear that! I'm hoping to share as much of this adventure as possible :)

      Delete
  2. Another great walk! Well done! Not everyone here is wrapped up and freezing! We were 27 C here in LA today! Loved reading this week's blog as some of the places you mentioned were familiar from when I was in Auckland. By the time you get to walk number 202, you will be running up that mountain!
    Looking forward to your next walk! Enjoy your nice hot weather!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh 'running' my old nemesis. Trust me there's not a sports bra in the world strong enough to see that happen ;) But I appreciate the thought. Getting to the top without dying will be my 'running'.

    That sounds crazy hot for winter! I think we were only at about 25c so I feel especially pathetic now :P

    I'm heading to Cornwall Park on the weekend for the next training run...whoops how'd that word get in there? Is that a spot you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe I did go there but it was awhile ago now! I spent most of my time in Brown's Bay when I wasn't traveling around! Sounds like a good place for your next adventure!

      Delete
    2. "Trust me there's not a sports bra in the world strong enough to see that happen" LMAO! :-p

      Delete
  4. I'm really enjoying your blog and the gorgeous views...and if it makes you feel any better, we didn't even get to 22 F yesterday and had a wind chill of -10. I don't even want to think of that would be in Celsius.

    By the way, when you finish climbing a long set of stairs, do you ever consider thrusting your arms into the air like Rocky did when he ran up the steps of the Philadelphia Museum of Art?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does make me feel better thanks ;) If I just do the math on that, it works out to....cold!!

    Trust me, when I get to the stage where I have to the strength to lift my arms past my head after steps, it'll get it's own blog post :P

    ReplyDelete